tuttlehouse_credit+nhs
 

A monument to Gilded Age taste…

The majestic Queen Anne-style Tuttle House, prominently situated at the head of Church Street, is an important symbol of Naugatuck’s Victorian-era prosperity. When built in 1881 for Bronson B. and Mary Ann Tuttle, the Robert Wakeman Hill-designed home was the quintessence of Gilded Age excess—complete with 30 rooms, eight fireplaces, extravagant finishes (mahogany, gold leaf, Japanese-inspired hardware) and exotic furnishings and curios from around the world. 

In 1935 the Tuttle family donated the house to the town with the stipulation that it be used for educational purposes. The mansion began its public life as The Tuttle School and most recently held the offices of the Naugatuck Board of Education. Now, in the latest chapter of its long history, this Connecticut landmark will become home to the Naugatuck Historical Society and the Naugatuck History Museum at the Tuttle House. We look forward to welcoming visitors to our new headquarters to enjoy exhibits, special events and social gatherings in this marvelous Victorian-period setting.